Early last week, app developer stanwood launched ‘ON AIR’ a new, free television guide app for iOS and Android devices designed especially for smartphone and tablet users who LOVE TV.
Originally developed by a joint Australian-German team, the ON AIR app first hit users screens in Germany in 2010 and in two short years has already enjoyed European success to the chime of 1.5 million downloads.
It has been a number one app in the overall free app charts in three countries, been selected by Apple and Amazon as an ‘App of the Week’ and holds a steady 4.5 star user rating in the Apple App Store and on Google Play.
Research conducted for stanwood in February 2013 showed that while 74% of Australian TV viewers are reliant on TV guides to help them choose what programs to watch – only 17% of smartphone users use a TV guide app.
ON AIR Managing Director Andreas Riedel said: “While there are a lot of different mobile options already on the market in Australia, we saw a big gap for an app that gives television viewers the information they want, when and how they want it. This app isn’t about bombarding viewers with information; instead we have spent a lot of time perfecting an interface that is simple, fast and easy to use.
“However, below this clear and simple interface, we have tied in a huge trove of information from a variety of sources – so you can jump to Wikipedia or IMDB, see what people are tweeting about the program, or even check if you can buy the entire series on iTunes. We hope that the eight out of ten smartphone users who aren’t yet using an app will consider ON AIR as the best choice for them.”
‘ON AIR’ Functionality:
- Clean and intuitive interface that makes browsing and finding simple
- Super fast loading times
- Listings for all Free-To-Air television channels in Australia
- Comprehensive details, descriptions, images and links to trailers are available for all programs
- Customised recommendations for the best TV highlights of each day, based on your personal taste and the picks of expert editors
- Optional push reminders for your favourite TV shows
- Built-in social functionality – allowing you to post or browse favourite shows on Facebook and Twitter
- Free and paid (ad-free) versions available
- The app seamlessly integrates with IceTV digital recording, so IceTV subscribers can record shows with one touch.
ON AIR is available for free download for Apple iPhone and iPad, and Android devices from:
Apple store: myONAIR.com.au/download/ios
Google play: myONAIR.com.au/download/android
ON AIR Australia is currently running a Facebook competition giving their fans a chance to win a Humax HD TV Recorder along with a lifetime ICE TV subscription. Visit http://www.facebook.com/ONAIR.au for more details on how to WIN.